Tuesday, December 21, 2010

SYZYGY - 8

INT. KARA’S CAR - NIGHT


Tom is driving. He and Kara are both laughing. They are already well into the desert, which passes by starkly in the full moonlight.


TOM

Seriously?


KARA

Of course! It kicked ass!


TOM

Lost In Space, huh? I was always

partial to Hawaii Five-O.


KARA

Really? Why’s that?


TOM

Well, my older brother always told

me that the next week we’d find out

if the guys in the kayak got away

from the tidal wave.



Kara laughs uproariously.


TOM

I kept falling for it. It was import-

ant. I needed to know! That and the

original Alvin and the Chipmunks

theme. Those were the two best.


KARA

(singing)

“This… is… the… Alvin show, the Alvin

show…”


TOM & KARA

“You’re positively gonna love the

Alvin show…”



They both break up laughing.


TOM

Why didn’t we ever talk like this in

high school?


KARA

I don’t know. Because we were in

high school, I guess. We didn’t

understand the value of TV theme

songs.


TOM

Yeah, but seriously… Raven and I don’t

talk like this, even now.


KARA

Well, I’m not Raven.


TOM

(smiling)

No, you’re not. You’re definitely not.

But we haven’t talked this much since

that one night…


KARA

I know. That guy broke up with me.

I don’t even remember what his name

was anymore. And I was crying, and

you came up and just started talking

to me. I remember I kind of poured

my heart out to you.


TOM

(fondly)

Kind of.


KARA

But you listened. You really listened.

Back then I always felt like I spent

more time dealing with other people’s

problems than my own.


TOM

I know. I could see that.


KARA

I never thanked you for that. You…

you kind of had a crush on me back

then, didn’t you?


TOM

Yeah. I did. Most definitely.


KARA

You could have just asked me out.


TOM

I could have. But didn’t. I guess

I figured the wanting would be better

than the having.


KARA

What does that mean?


TOM

Well, I think I was really in love

with you. Not some adolescent prom

night fantasy, maybe if it was I

could have done something about it.

But I had you built up in my mind

as some kind of goddess, everything

I thought a woman could be. I thought

about reading to you, sitting under

trees with you, or fixing candlelight

dinners, anything. Everything you

wanted.


KARA

Good thing you didn’t. I don’t think

I could have lived up to your expect-

ations.


TOM

The ache of not being with you was

better than anyone could ever have

been. Then again, maybe you could have.



He turns to her, but she looks away, embarrassed.


TOM

I get the feeling tonight that maybe

you really are closer to the way I

dreamed.


She doesn’t respond.


TOM

Even after college, it got worse. I

always half-believed that one day I’d

look up from my books and you’d be

standing there. And then tonight,

you finally were.


KARA

So you did what you always dreamed

about doing.


TOM

Yeah. With Raven the way she is now,

I can’t help but feel that I’m waiting

and waiting for something that will

never happen. I lot of the time I

don’t even feel like she’s there. But

it’s just to stop loving someone like

that, and when I think about it I

guess I feel weak for not having the

patience for her to come back…


KARA

Well, I’ve very recently stopped

loving someone. It wasn’t so hard.


TOM

Sorry. I guess I’ve just been talking

about myself.


KARA

It’s okay. You’re entitled. I’m just

glad you’re were there. And that

you’re here now. It makes things a

little easier.



She puts her hand on his arm, and he suddenly seems uncomfortable.


KARA

I wish that just once Jake would

have done any of those things you

always dreamed about.


INT. JAKE’S HOUSE - MORNING


Jake, fully dressed, carrying a mug of coffee, wanders from room to room, staring at the phones. He checks his watch, which reads eight-thirty, and looks out the window nervously. He passes the stairs to the basement, looks down them, checks his watch again.


INT. JAKE’S BASEMENT


The basement has been outfitted as a workshop. Benches and racks of tools line the walls. He reaches underneath one of the larger tables, removes a pistol that was held there by electrical tape. He heads back to the stairs, stops, and looks back.


In the corner, under another workbench, are two aluminum briefcases. He removes them and opens one. Nestled in foam beds inside are four detonators attached to blocks of what must be plastic explosive.


The doorbells rings upstairs. He looks up, startled.


INT. JAKE’S HOUSE - MORNING


As Jake walks into his foyer toward the front door, he glances out the front window. In his driveway, he can clearly see two police cruisers. He grabs a throw pillow off a chair and holds it over his face.


JAKE

(muffled through pillow)

FUCK!!!!


In an instant he is back in control, and opens the door, his face a mask of concerned surprise. He opens the door on three policemen and a plainclothes detective, DETECTIVE MANTLE.


MANTLE

Good morning, Mr. Brennan. I’m

Detective Mantle. I’m sorry to disturb

you so early.


JAKE

It’s all right… I was still in bed.


MANTLE

Sleep in your clothes, did you?



Jake has forgotten that he’s dressed.


JAKE

Yes. Have you heard anything about

Kara?


MANTLE

Well, that’s why we’re here, Mr.

Brennan. May we come in?


JAKE

Certainly.



INT. LIVING ROOM - MORNING


The policemen sit on the couch, with Jake and Mantle sit facing each other across the coffee table.


MANTLE

Normally missing person reports

can’t be filed for twenty-four

hours, but we found something

interesting this morning that we

think might pertain to this case.


JAKE

And what was that?



Mantle begins fishing around in his pockets for a rumpled piece of paper, which he begins unfolding and flattening.


MANTLE

Just after one o’clock this morning,

in a hotel just outside of town, a

man was murdered.


JAKE

A man? Do you think he had something

to do with Kara?


MANTLE

We’re not exactly sure. But we were

hoping you could tell us. The named

signed in the guest book for the room

in which the murder occurred… is yours.



Jake freezes. Mantle slides the paper across the table to him. It shows a photocopy of a fax on which, underneath the motel’s letterhead and logo, room 18 clearly shows Raven’s handwriting: Mr. & Mrs. Jake Brennan. Jake knows exactly who wrote it, but manages to conceal his anger.


JAKE

No, it’s not Kara’s writing.


MANTLE

Didn’t think so. The report from the

desk clerk is that a Caucasian male

and a Native American woman, regist-

ered the previous morning. Neither

of which match the description of

your wife, obviously.



Jake looks at the motel’s address, which includes the words “off Highway 46”.


JAKE

Detective, may I keep this?


MANTLE

Sure. Just a copy. We’re having the

place’s phone records checked too.

We should have the results within

the hour. I thought it best that we

have some of the men here wait with

you, in case whoever has her happens

to call.



Jake sneaks a glance at his watch, which is getting dangerously close to nine o’clock.


JAKE

(calmly)

Of course.


MANTLE

And since we’re so close to the state

line, the federal agencies are on

standby, just in case we find Kara

has been taken over. In that case,

the FBI would immediately become

involved.



Mantle’s words are becoming more and more drowned out by a buzzing sound, coming from inside Jake’s head. He’s trying his best to ignore it, but his temples are starting to sweat and the tips of his fingers are twitching.


JAKE

Can I offer… you and your men… some

coffee?


MANTLE

Thank you. That’d be fine. We really

appreciate your cooperation, Mr. Brennan.

Jefferson, would you help Mr. Brennan,

please?



One of the policemen nods, and stands as Jake does.


JAKE

I’ll show you. The kitchen is right

back here.


INT. KITCHEN - MORNING


Jake, with Jefferson following, moves through the kitchen around the island to the coffee machine. Jake spins on his heel, puts his hand on the back of Jefferson’s head, and punches him in the face. He then grabs the slumping body and gently lowers it to the ground. He drags the body behind the island so it can’t be seen from the doorway, and heads for the basement stairs. As soon as he’s gone, another policeman peeks in.


POLICEMAN

Mr. Brennan? Steve?


INT. STAIRWAY - MORNING


Jake sneaks back up the basement stairs, opens the side door at the top of the landing that leads into the garage.


INT. KITCHEN - MORNING


The policeman doesn’t see Jefferson’s body lying behind the counter, but notices that the basement door is ajar. The other two policemen enter the kitchen, and he motions for them to be quiet. He slowly opens the basement door, drawing his gun. The stairs are empty, and the outer door is closed, but the basement light is on. He starts descending the stairs.


EXT. DRIVEWAY - MORNING


The garage door opens and as soon as it’s open far enough, Jake’s car, in neutral, glides down toward the street. He has to ride up on the grass to avoid the squad cars.


INT. LIVING ROOM - MORNING


Detective Mantle doesn’t see Jake’s car rolling silently across the lawn behind him.


INT. BASEMENT


The policeman looks into the workroom, sees one of the aluminum suitcases lying open on the bench. One of the detonators has a display that switches from 00:00:03 to 00:00:02. He turns and starts running up the stairs in a blind panic.


POLICEMAN

DETECTIVE!!!!


EXT. STREET - MORNING


An explosion nearly pushes the house off its foundation, sending flames shooting out all the windows.


INT. JAKE’S CAR - MORNING


Jake tilts his rear-view mirror to watch the fireball behind him. He body shudders, and the buzzing sound returns. A terrifying half-grin spreads across his face.


JAKE

Beautiful…


He turns on the radio, winces as clear music comes out. He quickly changes the station dial to static, cranks the volume, and smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment