Thursday, December 16, 2010

SYZYGY - 7

INT. MOTEL ROOM 18 - NIGHT


Eyeball is still sitting on the bed. Raven comes out of the bathroom, throws her bag down next to him, and checks her gun as she heads for the door.


RAVEN

Stay here. I have some phone calls

to make. Want anything while I’m

out?


Eyeball shakes his head.


RAVEN

What did you have to eat before we

got to the bar tonight?


EYEBALL

Just a few drinks. I thought I would

need them.


RAVEN

I’ll get you something. I don’t want

you running on nothing but booze.

I’ll be right back.



She winks humorlessly and points her finger at him like a gun. Her thumb comes forward and she “fires”. She blows on her finger as she exits. The door swings closed, but doesn’t quite shut. Eyeball raises his hands to his face, notices they’re shaking. He stares at them as if they’re not his own. After several seconds he reaches for the phone, dialing quickly.


EYEBALL

(into phone, more and more agitated)

Big Ed? Thank God… you’ve gotta help

me! No, we’re at her motel! Her husband

ran off with Kara before Jake could

even get there! I don’t know, how

the fuck should I know? You calm down!

You’re the one who wanted a big show-

down! I hear the other line, that’s

probably her! What am I supposed to

do? Fine! Fine! I’ll just play along.

Okay!

(slams down the phone)

Asshole!


In frustration, he punches the pillows he’s been lying on. When he calms down, he takes a second, pulls out his gun and leans back against the headboard, leveling the muzzle at the door, taking deep breaths to steady himself.


EXT. HOTEL LOBBY - PHONE BOOTH - NIGHT


Raven is talking calmly into the phone.


RAVEN
(into phone)

Yeah, it’s sort of bad news. My

husband took off with her. Oh, just

fine, how am I supposed to feel? Yeah,

well, me too. I don’t know where he

thinks he’s going. You might want to

have Jake file a missing person’s

report as soon as possible, make it

look good. Who, The Eyeball Kid? He’s

fine. I honestly don’t think he has

much of a future in this, though.


INT. ROOM 18 - NIGHT


Eyeball is still watching the door, which is still ajar, gun poised. His eye, the gun, and the door all form an EXACT LINE. A few seconds pass.


EYEBALL

Come on… come on…


There is a soft knock at the door.


EYEBALL

(voice cracking)

Yeah?


The door swings open. Eyeball closes his eyes and turns his head away slightly.


MALE VOICE

(off-screen)

Room ser—


Eyeball fires. The room service man’s tray flips up in front of him, spilling tuna sandwiches and coffee down the front of his shirt. He stands absolutely still for a moment, long enough for us to see the hole in the tray. Then he falls backward, out onto the sidewalk. Seconds later, Raven comes running up.


RAVEN

What the hell did you do?


EYEBALL

Uh… uh… shot him.


RAVEN

Why??


EYEBALL
He just barged in and…


RAVEN

I told you I’d get you something.

Dammit! So you shot him?


EYEBALL

(starting to babble)

I, uh… just got off the phone with

Big Ed.


Raven steps back onto the sidewalk, to make sure that no one has seen.


RAVEN

You did? I just called him from the

pay phone in the lobby!


Eyeball says nothing, just stares at the TV, where someone has just won fabulous prizes.


RAVEN

I called him from the pay phone so

that there would be no record. Now

the police are gonna check the

records… goddammit, do you realize

how complicated you’re making this?

You don’t call your boss from the

hotel phone!

(shakes her head)

That’s it.


Raven grabs the room service man’s feet and drags him inside. She immediately grabs the ice bucket next to the TV. While Eyeball continues to stare at the body on the floor, she fills the bucket with hot water from the tap. She steps over the body and flings it out onto the sidewalk, washing more of the blood from the sidewalk and into the gutter.


RAVEN

If we do this right, no one will find

him for a few hours. That’ll give us time.


EYEBALL

(quietly)

You signed the guest book.


RAVEN

What?


EYEBALL

When you and Tom checked in. They’ll

know.


RAVEN

I didn’t use my real name. You don’t

think I’d be that stupid, do you?


Raven grabs Eyeball’s arm and hauls him to his feet.


RAVEN

Come on. We’re leaving.


Eyeball can’t seem to do anything but stare at the man on the floor. Raven grabs his jaw and makes him look into her eyes.


RAVEN

Hey hey hey. Don’t go vegetable on

me here. Don’t look at him. You can’t

help him now.


Eyeball starts to cry.


EYEBALL

I didn’t mean to do it…


RAVEN

I know, I know. But we’ve got to

leave. Right now. Go on out to the

car, all right?



She hands him the keys.


RAVEN

Here. Go and wait for me. This’ll just

take a minute.


Eyeball takes them and staggers outside. Raven stands over the body, puts her hands on her hips, and sighs.


EXT. MOTEL PARKING LOT - NIGHT


Eyeball gets in the passenger side of Raven’s car and puts the keys in the ignition. He sits back, puts his seat belt on. Then he breaks down. His face drops into his hands and he begins sobbing and hiccuping uncontrollably. In the confines of the car, the noise is very close and claustrophobic.


We can see into the room as Raven drags the body into the bathroom, hangs the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, and comes out, carrying her bag. She gets into the driver’s seat after throwing her bag in the back.


For a moment she just sits and listens to Eyeball cry and hiccup, and then she draws her gun. Without a glimmer of expression on her face, she holds it to his forehead. His hiccups stop immediately.


RAVEN

Thank you.


She puts the gun away, turns on the ignition.


INT. RAVEN’S CAR - NIGHT


As Raven drives, the two sit in silence. Eyeball just stares out the window, watching the night go by. The landscape is getting more and more barren as they head into the desert.


EYEBALL

(softly)

I’m sorry.


RAVEN

It happens. Try to get some sleep.



Eyeball can’t believe that she’s so calm.


EYEBALL

I just killed somebody!


RAVEN
Welcome to the present, Kid.


EYEBALL

But I’m no killer.


RAVEN

Well, that guy back there certainly

thinks so.


EYEBALL

No. I mean I’ve never…


RAVEN

…never done it before.


EYEBALL

(crying again)

No… I can’t do this.


RAVEN

What do you mean? Can’t do what?



Eyeball throws back his head.


EYEBALL

(sobbing)

I’m just a reporter. I’m undercover

to investigate the Organization.

But now I can’t get out. I thought

you were going to kill me! Or Big

Ed was…


RAVEN

Look, I know you’re upset. Believe

me. But I can’t stop now. Not for

anything. You follow me?



Eyeball nods.


RAVEN

Now, should I worry about you trying

to take me out again?


EYEBALL

No.


RAVEN

Okay. I believe you. And anyway I’ve

got your gun. We can talk about your

choice of careers later. For now,

just consider me your new boss.



Eyeball nods again, and a long pause follows.


EYEBALL

Raven?


RAVEN

Yeah?


EYEBALL

Why am I not dead yet?


RAVEN

Because you don’t seem like much of

a threat to me. Besides… you kind

of remind me of someone.


EYEBALL

Who?


Raven doesn’t answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment