Wednesday, December 1, 2010

SYZYGY - 4

INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY


Raven sits in a bright, comfortable armchair in a white, sparsely-decorated living room, holding a drink in her hand, staring into space. The look in her eyes has changed. Before she seemed invincible, and now she looks hardened, as if she has seen too much.


MALE VOICE

(off-screen)

And then?


RAVEN

(still staring into space)

Hm?


MALE VOICE

(off-screen)

And then what? How did you get out

of it?



Raven returns to the present and looks at the man speaking to her, who has been looking out the window but has turned to talk to her. He’s a little older than he, a strong, well-built man who looks like he works outdoors for a living. He is JAKE BRENNAN, and he seems very troubled.


RAVEN

Oh. The next morning I woke up

in Tom’s apartment. He had carried

me all the way home, cleaned me up

and put me to bed.


JAKE

Romantic. Most men would have bailed

and left you there.


RAVEN

I know, he’s a rare one. He seemed

to get off on what I did as much as

me. Three months later, we got married.


JAKE

Sounds like a strange relationship.


RAVEN

Not really. His life needed excitement,

mine needed stability. A perfect

match, actually.



Raven tilts her head back and empties her glass. Jake turns back to the window. The house they’re in is the first completed model in a developing subdivision. Nearby, a large industrial dumpster reads “Brennan Construction Co.”


JAKE

Does Big Ed know about him?


RAVEN

Hm? Oh, I wasn’t working for Big Ed

then. It was another guy.

(changing the subject)

So now that I’ve told you about mine…

(taps her wedding ring against her glass)

Tell me about yours.


JAKE

Well, what kind of things do you need

to know?



Raven stands and walks over to him. He steps away from the window, and she follows.


RAVEN

Basic stuff. What she looks like,

why she deserves to die, that kind

of thing.


Jake looks at her warily. She smiles a bit, enjoying his reaction, but the expressions looks calculated and doesn’t last very long.


JAKE

She doesn’t deserve it more than anyone

else, but I’m sure Big Ed has told

you the position I’m in.


RAVEN

Mm-hm. So what’s the timetable?


JAKE

I need proof of her death within

twenty-four hours. Along with you,

Big Ed assigned me an insurance lawyer.

He’ll be here at nine o’clock sharp

tomorrow morning to stop Big Ed’s men

from doing anything… unpleasant. It’s

all very efficient. I get the feeling

this kind of thing happens a lot.


RAVEN

No, but Big Ed believes in being

prepared for anything. So what exactly

was your downfall, horses?


JAKE

(getting agitated)

Don’t pretend like you know me, lady.

You don’t know shit about what I’ve

been going through. Last thing I need

is some fucking Indian giving me grief.


RAVEN

It’s Navaho, asshole, and I know enough.

You’re in hock up to your eyeballs,

and if you don’t come through, it’ll

be you in the ditch instead of your

wife. It’s a very big deal in Big Ed’s

eyes. But still business. He knows

I’ll do what’s required.


JAKE

(through gritted teeth)

Does Big Ed know you’re such a soulless

bitch?


RAVEN

Course. That’s why he assigned me.

Have we had enough name-calling for

one afternoon?



Jake reaches into his back pocket. By the time he removes his wallet, Raven has dropped her glass and drawn her pistol, leveling it squarely at his head. The empty glass hits the carpeted floor and rolls away. Jake puts up his hands, showing her the wallet, and she relaxes. Her eyes, however, continue to register no expression.


JAKE

Her picture.


He pulls out a small picture and hands it to Raven.


RAVEN

Hello, Kara. Pretty.


JAKE

Yeah.


RAVEN

But not for long.

(she pockets the picture)

Mr. Brennan, don’t worry. In twenty-

four hours, both your debt and your

wife will be gone, and I’ll be far

away from here. I don’t think you’ll

miss any of us. You can get back to

building homes for happy little

families.



Jake turns to the window, refusing to look her in the eye.


JAKE

Thank you.


RAVEN

You know, a wise old Navaho, my

grandmother, actually, told me that

though bodies may part company, little

bits of the souls of everyone we ever

know stick to us. Maybe you should

think about that when you remember

Kara.


JAKE

And how many dead people are stuck

to you?



Raven leaves without making a sound or expression.


INT. HOTEL ROOM 18 - DAY


Raven enters. Tom is lying across the bed in boxers and a t-shirt, reading. He looks up expectantly.


RAVEN

I thought you’d be taking a nap.


TOM

No. I wanted to wait for you.



Raven removes her jacket, looks in the mirror, then turns away a little too quickly. Tom tries to keep the conversation going.


TOM

So, what’s he like?


RAVEN

Jake? Typical son of a bitch. His

wife looks clueless enough. A fish

in a barrel.


TOM

You saw her?


RAVEN

No. Got her picture.


TOM

Oh.



Raven starts getting undressed. Tom watches her closely. She doesn’t seem to notice.


RAVEN

Plus, we’re meeting up with a witness.


TOM

A what?


RAVEN

I’ve got an audience. There’s a kid

who works for Big Ed that’s going

to tag along. Apparently, he wants to

be like me when he grows up.


TOM

Who is it?


RAVEN

All I got was his call name. The Eyeball

Kid. Sounds like a military dropout

who picked up a sniper rifle once and

thinks it’d be fun. Tonight should

scare him off…

(looks at Tom, humorlessly)

Unless he turns out to be like you.



Tom pretends not to hear and goes back to his reading, hurt. Raven produced a thin recorder from the inside pocket of her jacket. Tom suddenly gets very nervous.


TOM

Raven, you said you weren’t going to

do that…


RAVEN

What? Tape him? I just wanted to make

sure I have an edge if I need it.

I don’t trust him. Or Big Ed, for

that matter. Just covering my ass.


TOM

Do you have any idea what he would

have done to you if he found it?


RAVEN

Yeah, but he didn’t.



Tom grudgingly gives up. After a few moments:


TOM

Raven?


RAVEN

(still undressing, not looking at him)

Hm?


TOM

How do you feel about this? It’s not

like it used to be. She doesn’t work

for the Organization.


RAVEN

I’m ready.


TOM

No, I mean how do you feel?


RAVEN

I’m ready. I’ll pull the trigger,

same as always.



Raven gets into bed, and Tom, defeated, gets under the sheets as well.


RAVEN

Is the alarm set?


TOM

Yeah.


RAVEN

You can leave the light on if you

want.



She turns away from him, and he lies on his back, staring at the ceiling. He hesitates a moment, then gently places one hand on her hip.


RAVEN

(issuing a warning)

Tom…


He removes his hand and turns out the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment