Wednesday, March 16, 2011

SYZYGY - 17

INT. RAVEN’S MAZE


At first it looks as if Raven has stepped into a forest. Trees stretch off in infinite rows in all directions, their branches and leaves forming the low canopy of the ceiling. She steps straight ahead cautiously, until her outstretched hand comes into contact with glass, slightly distorting the view in front of her. It now becomes apparent that the trees cover the junctions between the mirrors, so it is almost impossible to tell where they are.


Raven turns right, finds that way blocked, too. She turns to the left and finds the true passage.


INT. JAKE’S MAZE


Somewhere else in the maze, Jake stands over his wife. He has covered her mouth with tape, and is binding her wrists and ankles behind her, so she is kneeling on the floor. His head snaps up to the sound of cautious footsteps on the wooden floor.


JAKE

I can hear you, Raven!


No response.


JAKE

I assume you found my gun. The only

thing that I ask is that you leave

yours, as well. I would like to hear

it, please.


No response. A few more footsteps.


JAKE

I should let you know that I have

planted several explosive devices

in this maze.


A pause. The sound of a gun being dropped on the floor.


JAKE

Good.


INT. RAVEN’S MAZE


Raven silently picks up her gun and sticks it into her belt in back. She continues feeling her way through the maze, which still looks empty in all directions.


INT. JAKE’S MAZE


Jake is leaving Kara behind him, moving toward the center of the maze stealthily.


JAKE

It’s getting lighter, isn’t it,

Raven? I think I’ll give you until

sunrise to solve the maze. When the

sun appears, that’s it. It’s all

over. I’ll be forced to make some

light of my own, and I think you

can guess what that means.


INT. RAVEN’S MAZE


Raven bumps into another mirror, then breaks her silence.


RAVEN

You’ve got to give me more time!


JAKE

(far away)

I’ve given you plenty of time. When

the night is gone, so are both of

you!


RAVEN

God dammit! Come out here! Fight

me like a man!


JAKE

(far away)

Always underestimating, aren’t you?

First we have things to discuss, a

debt to repay. Did you ever think

that maybe Kara isn’t the whole reason

I followed you all these miles?


RAVEN

Okay. I give up. What was the reason?


JAKE

(far away)

It was you. I look at you, and I

see the second-best servant of chaos

there is.



She stops. Jake is standing twenty feet in front of her. Something catches her eye. She turns to the left, and he’s there too. She turns right, and he’s also there. She keeps turning her head from one to the other, trying to discern which is real.


JAKE

Have you ever thought about what it

would be like to feel as fearless

as when you carried out those first

missions for Big Ed? When you felt

like nothing could hurt you? And it

never did. Until you clouded your

actions with your feelings for my

little carousel pony out there. I

want you, Raven. I want you to work

with me. People have made this world

too ordered. I am the Cleanser, the

one to scrape the world clean and

prepare it for the next order. And

I want you to help me.


Raven draws her gun. She points it at one of the Jakes, then the others. He laughs a little.


JAKE

I see we know each other too well.

Always the liars, aren’t we? It’s

something I’ve come to love about

you.


RAVEN

I just know better than to trust

a sick fuck like you, that’s all.



Jake draws his gun too. All three barrels simultaneously point at her.


JAKE

Well played.


RAVEN

So why did you bring me in here?

We could have handled this outside.


JAKE

Do you like the park? One of my old

victory grounds that I had imported

especially for you. New England, 1929.

A bolt came loose on the Ferris

wheel, sending twenty-four people

crashing down into the crowd that

was waiting to get on the carousel.

The sheer madness of it! You would

have enjoyed it.


RAVEN

Who the hell are you?


JAKE

Who do you think I am?


RAVEN

Jake Brennan.


JAKE

What? Oh, Raven, you disappoint me.

I though you all people would under-

stand. What if I told you that the

devil doesn’t exist? Would you believe

me?



Raven is silent.


JAKE

Or how about God? You still believe

in God, don’t you, Raven?


Still no answer. Just the pointing gun.


JAKE

Hedging your bets. That’s very

human of you. But well played. The

answer is that neither of them are

real. We all know the basic elements

of the universe. Chaos and order.

And the two of us were doing fine,

weren’t we? Always in balance, always

in check. But then you had to go and

multiply. Until there were millions

of you running around, creating your

societies and languages and technol-

ogies… Well, I’m sick of it! It’s my

turn now!


RAVEN

All I know is that you’re trying to

kill a woman and I’m trying to stop

you.


JAKE

Because she’s yours, right?


RAVEN

Not any more.


JAKE

So noble… Go ahead. Take the shot.

One in three.



Raven swings her gun to the Jake in front of her and fires. The figure disappears as the mirror shatters. The remaining Jake’s fire, and a puff of blood explodes from Raven’s right shin. She cries out and falls, landing on her back. She fires a shot at the figure on the left, shattering another mirror. She throws her hands above her head and tilts her head back to fire at the remaining Jake, but he’s disappeared into the darkness.


RAVEN

Shit.


INT. TOM’S MAZE


Tom creeps along in the near-dark, knife held out in front of him. He calls out.


TOM

Raven?


RAVEN

(far away, in pain)

Tom, get out of here!


TOM

Raven, are you okay?


RAVEN

I’m all right. Just get the hell out!



Tom presses on. He turns a corner and finds Kara bound on the floor in front of him. He hastily cuts the tape. She stands and he carefully pulls the tape off her mouth. She winces, then turns away from him as he starts cutting the tape at her wrists.


KARA

(whispering)

He’s got bombs with him. He planted

them somewhere back there.


TOM

(whispering)

Just get out. I’m going after Raven.


KARA

I’m sorry for all this, Tom. I’ll

be waiting.



Tom hugs her, then turns and rushes further into the maze. She watches him go, then slowly starts retracing her steps toward the exit.


INT. JAKE’S MAZE


Jake is down on his haunches, opening his knapsack and taking out a remote control device. He watches himself in the mirror as he does this.


JAKE

Raven?


INT. RAVEN’S MAZE


Limping nearby, she hears him. She’s leaning against a mirror, propped up against her own reflection.


JAKE

(teasing)

It’s getting light out there…


RAVEN

Fuck you! If you’re going to blow

the place, then do it!


JAKE

Last chance, Raven. It would be so

beautiful, you and I, together, killing

and maiming as we tear through this

world… of course, I’ll do it without

you if I have to.



EXT. AMUSEMENT PARK - DAWN


Kara sits behind the wheel of Raven’s car. Eyeball stands just outside the window.


EYEBALL

Are you sure you want to do this?


KARA

Stop talking, or I’ll lose my nerve.

If he sees the light, he’ll kill them

all.



She floors the accelerator, points the car straight for the entryway to the maze. For a moment, the carousel, the car, and the maze door are all in an EXACT LINE.


INT. RAVEN’S MAZE


All of a sudden, Raven hears the sound of a car, followed by the splintering of wood and crash of glass. The light that has been growing from the front door of the maze goes out as it collapses. Raven starts laughing and cheering loudly.


EXT. MIRROR MAZE - DAWN


Eyeball throws a few beams aside to help Kara, shaken but uninjured, climb out the window the car, the front half of which is buried in debris.


INT. JAKE’S MAZE


JAKE

Very clever. But I’m afraid the

deal still stands. It’s apparent

that you refuse to acknowledge your

true calling, so I’ll be leaving

you now. Goodbye, Miss Airheart…

I’m sure I’ll be seeing you again!


He turns to grab the detonator from his pack, but Tom is standing there, ready to attack with the knife. Jake raises his gun.


TOM

You’re not going anywhere.


JAKE

You’ve come back to save the woman

you’ve betrayed?


TOM

I didn’t betray anyone. I saved an

innocent life.


JAKE

No one is innocent.


RAVEN

Don’t listen to him, Tom! You don’t

have to be forgiven for anything.



She’s standing about ten feet away, behind Jake, aiming her gun at him.


TOM

Then that’s all I need to hear.


JAKE

You fire, I fire, Raven. We all fire.

Simple.


RAVEN

Why don’t you just hit the button

and end it now?


JAKE

I brought you here to see you suffer,

and I will see you suffer.



Jake fires at Tom, who manages to jump out of the way just in time. Jake shoots his own reflection. As Tom dives, Raven takes a shot at Jake, hitting him in the shoulder. He drops the bomb remote, then turns to fire at Raven. The two nearly empty their guns at each other, the mirrors behind and to the sides of them cracking and falling apart, to expose other mirrors…


They both slump to the floor. Tom, who has managed to stay out of the way, steps into the horrible silence and sees the two bodies, Jake face down, Raven leaning back against one of the trees. He moves forward, glass crunching under his shoes, and realizes that the faint, rhythmic whistling he’s hearing is actually Raven’s breathing, wind from a hole punched in one of her lungs. He rushes over to her, kneels in the glass.


TOM

Oh God… Raven? Can you hear me?


She nods slightly, blood running from her mouth.


RAVEN

(faintly)

Got him.


TOM

Yeah. You got him.



She smiles weakly.


TOM

Raven, I’ve got to get you some

help, baby. You… you don’t look

too good.


RAVEN

Am I going to be all right?


TOM

I’m going to send Kara and the Kid

for help, and then I swear to God,

I’ll come right back and wait with

you—


RAVEN

No… I mean, will I be okay?… Did I

save more than I destroyed?


TOM

Baby, I don’t know what you…



She starts to fade. He grabs her shoulders, pulls her upright.


TOM

Yes! Yes you did. Um…


He glances at Jake’s body.


TOM

Jake, or whatever he was, would

have just kept on killing, right?

We weren’t going to be the last. So

you saved a lot of people, Raven.

A lot.


RAVEN

Yes… thank you, Tom.


TOM

Please, baby, will you hold on

until I get back? Can you do that?



She nods, smiles.


RAVEN

Hurry back, okay? I’m cold…


TOM

Okay. I love you.



He kisses her lightly, some of the blood staining his lips.


RAVEN

I love you too, Tom. Hurry.


He runs off. She closes her eyes.


She hears a noise. She looks over at Jake, finds that he is slowly rolling over, crunching the broken glass under him. Raven painfully raises her gun, still in her hand, and pulls the trigger. It clicks: empty.


She puts it down, watches as Jake finds his gun and starts working with it weakly. He’s loading one more bullet from his pocket into the chamber. His hands are wet with his blood, but manages to complete the task. He sits up and points it at Raven.


JAKE

Come to me…


She looks at him blankly, then lifts her hand. The bomb remote is in it. Jake pauses, utter rage overcoming his features. Raven in a final act of defiance, leans over to her own reflection in the mirror next to her. She looks deeply into her own eyes, and slowly kisses her reflection. Jake howls inhumanly, starts to pull the trigger. Raven pushes the remote button and all is lost in a tremendous explosion. The infinite forest is swallowed by and infinite fire, enveloping it like a flash flood.


EXT. MIRROR MAZE - DAWN


Fire blasts out of the front door of the Maze, knocking down Tom, who is standing nearby with Eyeball and Kara. The hot wind flattens them as the structure collapses. Then everything goes silent.


Tom gets to his knees and sees all that is left: burning piles of wood floating on pools of glowing molten glass. He stares into the crater numbly as Kara and Eyeball come up behind him. Kara puts her hand on his shoulder.


TOM

No… no, this isn’t right…


She rubs his shoulder as he starts to cry.


KARA

I never even got to see what she

looked like.


EYEBALL

(softly)

She was beautiful.



They stare into the fire, which is already beginning to dim.


EXT. KARA’S CAR - MORNING


The three of them walk toward the car slowly. They stand still for a few seconds, watching the first light at the horizon fill the sky.


TOM

She asked me about her soul.


EYEBALL

Hm?


TOM

If she saved more than she destroyed,

something like that. I told her she

did.



Eyeball smiles a little.


EYEBALL

I think you were right.


TOM

Why did she ask me that?



Eyeball sits up on the hood of the car, lies back against the windshield.


EYEBALL

Come on, I’ll tell you.


KARA

What are you doing?


EYEBALL

Looking at the stars. I think there

might be a new one out this morning.



They join him, lying back on the hood. Up in the sky, there are still many stars out, fading as the sun wipes them away, although it’s impossible to tell if the sky is fuller than it was before.


FADE OUT


ROLL CREDITS


THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment