Wednesday, March 16, 2011

SYZYGY - 16

EXT. AMUSEMENT PARK - PRE-DAWN


Tom watches them disappear into the building. He keeps rocking back and forth, trying to work his hands free, but finally slumps forward, defeated.


INT. RAVEN’S CAR - PRE-DAWN


Eyeball is still driving. Raven is awake and holding the locator, watching it intently. The readout changes from 0.2 to 0.3.


RAVEN

Yeah, you’re right. It was that dirt

road.


EXT. RAVEN’S CAR - PRE-DAWN


Eyeball pulls over onto the should, then hangs a U-turn, heading up the dirt road they just passed. After a few moments they see Kara’s car.


INT. RAVEN’S CAR - PRE-DAWN


EYEBALL

Did they ditch it? Maybe they went

into the hills on foot.


RAVEN

They would have done that days ago

if they were still running. They

know we’re catching up.



They coast up to the top of the hill, passing under the TOPHETH sign. The amusement park spreads out before them.


EYEBALL

Wow.


The car pushes slowly through the high grass toward the carousel.


RAVEN

This shouldn’t be here. It’s not

right. Like an old battlefield.


EXT. CAROUSEL - PRE-DAWN


Tom is watching the car get closer, closes his eyes as it stops about thirty feet away.


TOM

Please, please, please…


The doors open. Raven gets out. She starts striding toward Tom through the long grass. Eyeball trails her. Tom just stares. She hops up onto the carousel, comes right over to him, and he tries to get as far away as possible, almost falling off the horse. She stops right next to him.


RAVEN

Explain.


TOM

(all at once)

I knew her in high school. I knew

you were going to kill her no matter

what I did, so I bolted. I’m sorry.



Raven thinks this over, then lunges. She throws her arms around him.


RAVEN

I’m sorry, Tom. I’ve been away for

so long. Please forgive me.


TOM

(stunned)

It… it’s okay…



She pulls back. Tom is genuinely astonished and confused.


TOM

So, you’re not going to kill her?


RAVEN

No. I’m already free. Kiss.



She surprises him with a deep, passionate kiss unlike any he’s had for a long time. When they finish, Tom looks into her eyes.


TOM

It’s really you. You’re back.


RAVEN

I was never really gone. Just lost.



They kiss again, and then she starts cutting the tape around his wrists.


TOM

(over her shoulder)

How are you, Mr. Eyeball Kid?


EYEBALL

Not too bad, considering I’m wanted

for murder.



The tape snaps and Tom hops down off the horse, rubbing his wrists.


TOM

Jake’s here.


RAVEN

I know. How did I know that?


TOM

He’s got Kara. He took her in there.



He points toward the “Mystifying Mirror Maze”, now starting to turn orange in the pre-dawn light. Raven draws her gun.


RAVEN

Let’s go.


They walk toward the maze, following the trail left by Jake and Kara in the tall grass. They walk side by side, Raven between and slightly ahead of the two men.


EXT. MIRROR MAZE - PRE-DAWN


The three of them walk up the steps leading to the entrance platform.


RAVEN

Looks like Big Ed’s going to get

that showdown after all.


EYEBALL

And we’ve only got one gun.


RAVEN

Kid… I just want to thank you for…

whatever it was you did for me.

Bringing me back from the dead, I

guess.



She kisses him on the cheek.


EYEBALL

Sure. Anytime.


Raven turns to her husband, hands him her knife.


RAVEN

Ready?


He nods. She draws her gun.


RAVEN

I’ll take the front, you take the

exit, okay?


TOM

Sure. You know, I’d almost forgotten
what a good kisser you are.


RAVEN

Well, I guess I’ll just have to keep

reminding you.



Tom smiles at her and takes off toward the exit.


RAVEN

(to Eyeball)

I’d ask you to come along, but we’re

out of guns. And you’ve done so much

already.


EYEBALL

It’s okay. I’ll keep watch out here.


RAVEN

I guess you should leave this to the

professional.


EYEBALL

If you need me…



Raven gives him a thumbs-up. He returns it, and she steps up to the archway. The sun will be rising very soon. She sees something just inside the entryway. It’s Jake’s gun. She checks the chamber, finds it empty, and tosses it to Eyeball. She steps inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment