Wednesday, March 16, 2011

SYZYGY - 13

INT. RAVEN’S CAR - NIGHT


Eyeball is driving while Raven tries to curl up on the passenger seat. He looks at the dashboard. It reads 64.3. Raven covers herself with her jacket and falls asleep quickly. She enters a nightmare…


INT. CAR - NIGHT


Raven is in the front seat of the red car she drove on the night of her last hit. The upholstery and interior is red as well. It’s not until she starts moving that she realizes that everything is coated in blood. She begins to panic, trying to get the liquid off her hands, but only manages to cover herself with it.


EXT. STREET - NIGHT


Raven gets out of the car, frantic. She keeps trying to wipe herself off, but the blood is gone. She stands on a deserted street. The pavement is wet, reflecting the streetlights.


On the far side of the street is a large black building, all glass and steel, a giant obelisk that reflects the clouds off its sheer face. From out of nowhere, a group of three semi trucks drive by between her and the building. As they pass, they become Chinese dragons, their headlights turning into burning eyes. Whispered warnings fill the air.


They pass, and the street is quiet again. A single set of revolving doors at the base of the building turns in the wind. Raven crosses the street and steps through them.


INT. BUILDING - LOBBY - NIGHT


The light in the lobby is dim and distant. From high above, we can see that the floor tiles create a giant infinity sign, rendered in black and white. Raven doesn’t notice and heads for the elevators. From out of the shadows steps a woman, about Raven’s age, with dark hair and a pale face. She wears a black trenchcoat that almost reaches the floor. She is TONYA.


RAVEN

Tonya?


They embrace.


RAVEN

I’ve missed you so much.


She pulls back to get a look at her friend, who just smiles and walks to the elevator. It opens. Raven rushes to catch up with her.


INT. ELEVATOR


As Raven enters, Tonya stands by the control panel.


RAVEN

What’s going on? Why are we here?


TONYA

(pointing up)

I work for him now.


RAVEN

Who?



Tonya doesn’t answer, just leans over and pushes a button on the panel. Raven notices a strange lump on Tonya’s back, as if she’s wearing a backpack under her coat. In no time they’re on the top floor. The doors open, and Tonya gestures through the doors. Raven strides into the room beyond, followed closely by Tonya.


INT. GODFREY’S OFFICE - NIGHT


The women enter Godfrey’s office. Outside the huge window, a night cityscape glows. Instead of Godfrey sitting in his chair, however, it’s Jake.


JAKE

Raven! My favorite employee!


RAVEN

(feeling some deja vu)

No… I don’t work for you anymore…

I’ve paid my debt. I’m here to resign.


JAKE

Paid the debt? I don’t think so.


RAVEN

Twenty kills at three thousand apiece.

That’s all I owe.


JAKE

That’s all the money you owe. But

your soul… now that’s a different

story.


RAVEN

No! I had no choice!


JAKE

Wrong! Your life or your victims’!

One life or twenty! Your debt is

far from paid!



Raven draws her gun slowly. Jake doesn’t move.


TONYA

Raven, stop!


Raven fires repeatedly at Jake. Tonya falls to her knees, face in her hands, wings bursting through the back of her trenchcoat. Jake’s body convulses, blinding white light erupting from each hole Raven puts in him…


INT. HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT


The clock on the bedside table reads 11:27. Kara is lying across the bed on her stomach, remote in hand, channel surfing. Her hair is wet, and she’s wearing one of the hotel’s bathrobes. Tom is looking at himself in the vanity mirror.


TOM

Are you ready to go now?


KARA

(not looking at him)

Tom, can’t we just stay here for

a little while? I’m so tired…


TOM

You can sleep in the car. We’re losing

ground fast.


KARA

Would you sit with me? Just for a

second?


TOM

Look, we stopped so you could shower.

Now we’ve got to get going.


KARA

Just a second. Please.



He concedes reluctantly. Their attention focuses on the screen, where Kara has found a rerun of the Newlywed Game.


KARA

Could you rub my shoulders? I think

I’ve got a kink in my neck from all

the driving.


TOM

(almost refuses, then…)

Okay. Just for a minute. When the

show’s over, we’re going, all right?


KARA

Sure.



Tom scoots over next to her, and begins rubbing her shoulders tentatively. They keep watching the TV. Tom realizes that Kara’s shoulders are trembling. She’s crying softly. He opens his mouth to say something, closes it again when he can’t find the words.


KARA

What are we doing, Tom? Where are we

going?


TOM

I don’t know. Maybe we can find another

car when we hit the coast.


KARA

And then what? When can we stop?


TOM

I don’t think we can. I know Raven

won’t.



There’s a long pause as they watch the happy couples on the screen.


KARA

I tried calling Jake while you were

outside. The recording said the number

was no longer in service.


TOM

Maybe he had it disconnected.


KARA

I don’t know… I don’t think I could

have said anything if he did answer.

God…

(buries her face in her hands)

Tom?


TOM

Hm?


KARA

I want you to make love to me.


TOM

Kara… don’t.



He gets up, and she rolls over onto her back, looking up at him, tears in her eyes.


KARA

What was all that you told me in

the car? You saved my life back

there because you wanted me.


TOM

I didn’t mean it like that.


KARA

I’m your goddess, you said.


TOM

You don’t have to do this.


KARA

I want to. Can’t you tell? I need to.


TOM

Need to what?


KARA

(reaching for him)

I need you to want me. I need you

to care about me.


TOM

Can’t I care about you without sleeping

with you?



Kara gets up off the bed, starts moving toward Tom, who backs away.


KARA

I want to be close to you. As close

as I possibly can. Aren’t you tired

of fighting it?


TOM

Kara, stop… not like this…



She backs him up against the vanity next to the bathroom door. She places one hand on his chest, pushing him back a little. She keeps advancing even as tears spill down her cheeks. She moves forward and presses up against him, kissing his lips slowly. He can’t help but respond, kissing her back with equal passion. She pulls away long enough to say:


KARA

Show me what you always wanted to

do but couldn’t. Please, Tom…


Her hands unbutton his shirt, exposing his chest. She leans forward, starts kissing him there. She begins working her way downward… and he sidesteps her, ducking into the bathroom, closing and locking the door before she can regain her balance. She begins pounding on the door.


KARA

Damn it, Tom! Come back out here!

Please!


TOM

(from behind the door)

Just give me a second, okay? Go lie

on the bed and wait just one second.



She does as he says, smiling. She knows she’s winning.


KARA

I promise you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment