Thursday, November 11, 2010

SYZYGY - 2

EXT. ROOFTOP - NIGHT


The door to the roof of a tall downtown office building opens. Raven strides out, a little off-balance but still steady, followed closely by Tom.


TOM

A meteorologist? An air conditioning

unit repairperson?


She doesn’t respond, just keeps walking toward the edge of the roof. When she gets there, she stops and picks up a large briefcase that is sitting there. She drops to her haunches in front of it and pops open the latches.


Inside, black foam padding holds several long tubes of metal.


TOM

You’re a plumber?


RAVEN

Let’s see how long it takes for

you to figure this out.



She starts taking tubes out from the case and hooks them together. Tom doesn’t realize what she’s doing until she attaches a rifle scope to it.


TOM

Now, hold on a minute.


Raven doesn’t look up from her work, but points at the building across the street.


RAVEN

Fourth floor down, seventh window

from the right.


Tom looks from the building to her and back, unsure, but quickly counts off the windows. He can just barely make out someone seated at a desk in one of the few lit windows left.


TOM

I… I can’t let you do this.


Raven has finished her rifle. She flips the butt of it up to her shoulder in a practiced move, and kneels, taking aim on the window.


RAVEN

You think this is wrong?


TOM

I know it’s wrong. Don’t!


RAVEN

Well, see, here’s where the ethical

dilemma comes in. In fact, Mr.

Crosshairs over there isn’t just

upper management. In his spare time

he runs a prostitution ring.


TOM

A what?


RAVEN

Not just any ring either. They

specialize in young girls. Now

what do you think? I know what I’m

talking about. The reason I’ve been

down here the last few days because

I’ve been setting this up.


TOM

Hold on just a minute, okay?


RAVEN

A minute? Give me a single reason

why I should let this fuck live for

another minute. You can leave, you

know. Just go back down the stairs

and go home to your comfortable

little bed. Just do one thing for

me first.


TOM

(numb)

What?


RAVEN

Tell me to do it.



Tom doesn’t speak.


RAVEN

The world will be a better place

tomorrow, I swear. Just tell me…

please.


Her voice cracks. A tear rolls down her cheek.


TOM

Do it.


Instantly, she pulls the trigger, a brief flash of light, a puffing sound, and a barely audible crack of glass. It’s over. Raven drops the rifle and puts her hands over her face, begins to sob.


INT. ELEVATOR


Tom and Raven ride down in silence, both too stunned to say anything. The suitcase rests on the floor directly between them.


RAVEN

I shouldn’t have done that, Tom.

I’m sorry. Why couldn’t you have

sat down two or three drinks later?

Maybe I could have done it without

your help then.


TOM

Don’t apologize… or maybe you

should. I don’t know.


RAVEN

When we get to the lobby, I’ll give

you a five minute head start. Security

probably won’t stop me. Even though

I didn’t have a briefcase when I

came in…


TOM

What you said about him was true,

wasn’t it?



Raven starts to cry again, silently. Tom looks at her, makes up his mind. He bends down and picks up the suitcase by the handle. She’s genuinely shocked. He looks just like any other businessman with a briefcase. She leans forward and kisses him lightly on the lips.


RAVEN

Thank you.


TOM

Now, can I choose what we do next?



INT. TOM’S APARTMENT - NIGHT


Raven sits on Tom’s couch, clad in flannel pajamas. She’s wiping away the last of her tears and studying the large fluffy slippers she’s wearing, designed to look like bear paws. She can’t help but smile as she looks at them. A distant bell dings.


TOM

(offscreen)

Finally!


A few moments later, Tom comes into the room, also dressed in flannel pajamas, carrying a large bowl of popcorn. He flops down next to her.


TOM

And has the lady made her selection?


Raven hands him a DVD cover.


RAVEN

It took me a while. Do you have

any idea how many movies you own?


TOM

(looking at the cover)

Just over three hundred. Ah,

an excellent choice! Here.



He hands her the popcorn, and sits down next to her. He taps the remote. The studio logo fanfare and dramatic opening theme plays offscreen as they talk.


RAVEN

Tonight’s not the first time I’ve

done this.


TOM

What, watched a movie?


RAVEN

You know what I mean. This is what

I have to do right now. I really

don’t have a choice.

(starting to have difficulty speaking)

There are men… men who… when I used to…


TOM

(gently)

Shh. Shh. Raven, tonight was the

first time in I don’t know how

long that I didn’t come home and

let someone on this screen--

(points to TV)

--have adventures instead of me. I’m

not judging you. You did the right

thing, right?



Raven nods, unsure of what to make of his reaction.


TOM

I think so too. You did what you

had to. Now you can relax. Nothing’s

going to happen to you here.


She doesn’t know what to say, and he doesn’t expect anything from her. Finally they lean forward and their lips meet in a kiss that just gets more and more intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment